Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Competition vs. Regular Play

Years ago, I used to compete in our women's club tournaments and play reasonably well. Then as my handicap index declined and the number of strokes I had to give to the other players increased, my ability to keep my head when I had to give up 17 strokes per round made it very difficult to win. Now mind you, winning is not everything; but it sure feels like you are so far behind the eight ball in match play when on almost every hole, you are giving away a stroke and in some cases, maybe 2.

I played an incredible round of golf this past week - probably one of my best in the last few years. I went into Sunday's match with this experience in my head. Fully prepared to play well and knowing I could. My first two shots were extraordinary; then when I was chipping onto the green for the third shot, I skulled my chip, landing in the bunker. It unnerved me enough that I lost my head. I lost the hole, too.

My match partner and I went back and forth and back and forth up and down for many holes until I got ahead of her by a couple of strokes from which she couldn't recover and my game finally saved me. I won three and two; but it wasn't pretty. My actual strokes on the day were among the worst rounds I have played all year so far.

If you are like me, you tend to play up to your playing partner or if you are playing with a lesser player, well...you know. I like to play my own game in competition, not chit-chat; and generally walk alone to my ball, not focus on driving hither and there to the other person's shots, especially when the longest shot is 120-130 yards. I firmly believe that's what really affected my concentration and score. Even though it is more tiring, it's better to walk and be focused just on what I'm doing.

Next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment